Saturday 7 December 2019

It's all in the details...

Eye Colour & Shape
Advice>
Choose your eye colour for characters and make a note of what it is. I can't count the number of times I've chosen one colour and then forgotten and had to fix it up in edits... Or worse had a reader tell me I'd switch halfway through a story. Nothing more embarrassing I can tell you. But, at least I'm getting better. I also remember to take the same time to take write out the shape of the eyes... so when I'm describing family traits I can look back at my notes for reference.

Lip Shape

Choose the lips your character is likely to have. Because the shape of the lips determines the way they smile. The way they kiss. I think the Lips on some people are extremely beautiful. Especially, when a character is described as having kissable lips. But honestly, what's kissable to me, might be completely different to someone else. My character Grayson from Admetus Gaea has Wide lips━because that is how I have always seen him. There was never a doubt in my mind.  I'll have to find the picture my niece and I drew of Grayson when we were younger and you'll be able to see what I mean.
Face Shape

The shape of your face will determine the shape of some of their other facial features. I'm a bad one for forgetting the shape of a person's face when I write a book. Even when I do take notes. I just really suck at the face shape part of it. I'll quite often change the jawline. I must admit that once I did forget one of my characters had a beard until I got right to the end of the story and had to go back through and put it in. A little snippet here, and a little snippet there. A lot harder than you would think.

Nose Shape



A character's nose is probably one of their defining qualities. Is it straight, is it broken? Is it long, short, bent, flat? My nose has never been broken, so it's pretty straight. Though in saying that my family has a tendency to have rounder bottom. My daughter has the same nose. Where we differ is she has had her nose broken at birth, so she has the tell-tale bump in her nose. My son-in-law has a hooked nose so my poor granddaughter has a mixture of both of them. I think she's beautiful anyway.

Hand Shape
I love a person's hands. because most often than not they tell how a person lives their lives. People with roughened hands, you could surmise might work outdoors. Like cowboys, construction, landscaping. They say people with long thing fingers are usually artistic. I don't know whether that's true or not. But it makes you wonder. I have large hands... but I have long fingers and I'm pretty talented.

Body Shape
Everything all needs to go together and that's where you need the body shape. I don't know why the same shapes are different for men and women but they are. I must admit this is the hardest thing for me to choose. Because I don't tink all the people in my books have to be necessarily perfect. I don't mind if they have a bit of extra weight around the middle. I know the pain of a woman having big boobs. I can relate. I'm also a big believer the characters should dress comfortably, and for their body shape. I've read  one too many books where the character's just dress like sluts because their skinny, twinkish, and gay. Though I have had character's change dress styles during a book series. Chris does that in The Lines of Marsden, but it was done intentionally━but I digress.  We are talking about body shape... My best advice is to take notes. Notes will save your arse in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment