Wednesday 27 March 2013

NaNoWriMo

There are eight months left before NaNoWriMo starts again. How early is too early to start thinking about what you are going to write? I usually just wing it every year it rocks around, and I haven't missed reaching the 50K mark... but this year, I want to be better prepared.

I figured I have so many stories running around inside my head maybe NaNoWriMo may be the time to get one or two of them out of the way... Do other authors plan what they are going to write? Or do they just start something new on November 1st?

Should I write contemporary or Paranormal? Last year I wrote a mixture of the two: half my Nano was spent on Taking Chances: Lie To Me, and the other half on Sons of Evenmore: The Crimson Grimoire.

Okay, I'm going to mull this over for a day or two and will get back to you with my thoughts after Easter. If you have any thoughts feel free to leave me a comment.

2 comments:

  1. Well, year one I planned it and made a total mess of the story. It is one I intend to start over. I started planning a couple of months before.

    Year two was also a bit of a disaster where I got 50k but the story still isn't finished.

    Year three was the year I did the least amount of planning. Ironically that story was finished.

    Year four I went rebel to finish a bunch of unfinished projects - finished some but not others.

    This year I did intend to save my historical story for NaNo, but I suspect by planning so early I have shot myself in the foot as I won't be able to resist starting it.

    In a nutshell, I have yet to find a happy medium between planning and flying by the seat of my pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be my third year - year one I wrote a just over 50K paranormal story in two weeks reading back I have to fix the head hopping etc, but at least the story is finished...(so much shit happened in my life that month) and last year I did the two stories and I completed one but the other is still a disastrous mess which I will need to tweak it for it to make sense. Both years I didn't plan a thing, and just jumped in feet first. This year I was hoping for some semblance of order... but then again, we are talking about me, so anything could happen.

      Delete