Thursday 1 March 2012

5 Things That Piss Me Off In Writing

Okay, I woke up at midnight last night I couldn't turn my brain off and the more I thought about writing there were more and more things that just pissed me off. So I thought I would share.

1- The major one is language barriers between Australian English and American English. - Seriously I think you guys need to think about joining us, (mainly so I don't keep screwing it up). in two of my stories I have both an Aussie and an American main character - So what version am I supposed to write it in. Because I know my editor will kick my arse if I use both.

2- Why do people think they can write your story better than you? and I am not talking other authors or editors - I am talking family and friends. How many times I have heard "I liked it, but I would have written it like this." On: One Last Kiss Goodbye (Title still in thought.) I have a friend tell me exactly how it was going to end and proceeded to tell me - I was like well hang on now, I am writing it and I don't know where it is headed so how can you? (By the way I am 7K into the story).

3- Why is it every time I receive edits it ends up going back to the editor with way more words? The Lines of Marsden: Rules Are Meant To Be Broken, went back to my MLR editor with nearly 4K extra. I don't understand when I reword things I end up like doubling the sentence. Somehow I think my editor is pulling her hair out right about now - (Does it help if I say sorry, Kimberly.)

4- Why is it I am so bad at promoting? Actually it's not that I am bad at it I just forget to do it. Though I did remember to promo Toowoomba Boys 2: Hunting for Clay on Talking Two Lips Yahoo site - check it out if you have time. There are such great excerpts going on there take a look at what is coming out.

5- This is another thing I hate and I do it oh so often  - Why the hell do I keep losing my notes? Why can't I be more professional and keep them all in the same place? I even lose them on the computer sometimes because I can never remember where I save them to. I spend so much time trying to track them down.

6 comments:

  1. It is true... family/friends keep telling you "hey, you could write that"... hey why don't you hush cause you are messing me up!!! I don't need someone else's ideas stepping on mine. LOL (and in some cases it is rather creepy!)
    Hang in there with the edits...
    Big Hugs,
    Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what how I am feeling - It drives me nuts.

      Delete
  2. I would write it in the language you feel most comfortable in. As an Aussie too, I would find it so hard to try and write using American spelling, when we spend up to 13 years in school learning the UK & Aussie version. Spelling the US way just doesn't come naturally to me and I would get so distracted from my writing trying to make sure that I was spelling things the US way. You can always change it later using spell check if your editor insists.

    As to the computer, create a writing folder and then create a folder for each series in that one, then you just save your notes to the appropriate one. It should be really easy to find then. Well hopefully anyway :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly on the computer thing I do that I am very organise in my files - just sometimes I manage to save something some place completely random - don't ask me why I do it - I just do... Though at the moment it is due to lack of sleep. in the last 72 hours - I have had 6 hours sleep. insomnia big time - but I won't take meds to help me sleep... as my kid has sleep apnoea and I need to keep an ear out for her. Though she is not as bad as she used to be but it is just habit now to listen out - so I am a light sleeper at the best of times.

      Yes I am rambling so I will shut up now.

      Delete
  3. Take a nap deary, you need it. The spelling thing doesn't really bother me most of the time. I do remember a couple of characters that were "American" and the story took place in Montana or Wyoming and the spelling and word usage were definitely British. It was a little distracting, one doesn't expect a cowboy to speak with a "stiff upper lip". Maybe if the story had been better it wouldn't have mattered at all. I guess the moral to my little story is "if you are a good author and produce a strong story it really won't matter that much".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Embry lives in Texas so she is helping me not only americanise but get the lingo right.

      Delete