Saturday 18 July 2020

In my garden.


Today I have to transplant a tree (yesterday, today, & tomorrow) in my garden. It's only a small tree, but it's getting rootbound in the pot it's in. Then I need to transplant another plant into the pot the tree comes out of. I'll readily admit I'm not the greatest gardener. Every once in a while I get down in the yard and make a day of it though. Both Oliver and Robson love it.

This garden is actually inside my cat enclosure. So it doesn't always look as nice as this because Robson likes to get in the pots and help me dig. Especially the succulents. Mind you he mainly just likes to eat them. I have a lot of succulents in my garden.

The grass is all dying out because I actually have shade cloth across the top like a roof to keep my cats in and other animals out. The cats love running and chasing each other around the pots. 

Since I have taken these pictures my billygoat stinkers have run amok and it's one of Robson's favourite hiding places in the whole garden. He gets in underneath then and pounces on whoever chances to walk by.

With the bad summer we just had, some of my plants were hit hard. I have faith they will come back. If not I will take a cutting from some of my existing plants and grow some more. Why spend more money when I can do that? Saving money where I can is always a good thing.

My mother-in-law tongue plants are going strong and multiplying like you wouldn't believe. I think in another year they'll have filled up one whole burgundy garden bed.

The billygoat stinkers are growing in the ground at the end of the bed holding the mother-in-law tongue plants.

The Jade plant I have up against the metal fence has doubled in size. Though it takes a beating from both my cats. I've had to buy some stakes to help keep them upright until they get a bit stronger. and they are all actually from one cutting I brought from my old house when I moved in.

I have to do a lot of rearranging because of how much sunlight actually filters into the yard itself. The plants need to be moved throughout the year to help them grow. Listen to me talking like I know anything about plants. Usually, I ask my brother and sister-in-law when I need to know something. They have a beautiful garden at their house.

I'll finish off my post with one of my pretty flowers. Mind you it has only ever flowered the one year. so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with it. I'm hoping this year it will decide to flower again. My agapanthus has never flowered so I don't know what colour it is. 

Though I have to admit I'm not really a flower person, so I really don't mind that. I like all the greenery. I'm hoping my geraniums come back. because they are a great snake repellant, and we do have a lot of those here. I think last summer my cats caught al least 8 of them, and they were most all deadly eastern browns. I like to try and keep the garden as friendly as I can to hide all the skinks etc as they have homes in and around the fence lines. I've put in things they can climb under in case my cats get a little too inquisitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment